Netflights.com looked at 38 of the world’s airports most often used as changeover hubs to make a list of the best. The cities were ranked on the following criteria: cost and distance of a transfer from the airport to the nearest city; type of public transport available; minutes to the city center; number of destinations the airport has flights to; and whether a local airline offers a free stopover.
- Amsterdam – The country’s flag carrier KLM offers free stopovers and Schiphol airport is about 15 minutes from the city with a variety of well-priced transport.
- Singapore – Singapore Airlines also happens to offer stopover programs, so you can make the most of even just 48 hours in the city.
- Lisbon – TAP Air Portugal offers stopovers up to five days with no extra cost and it’s only 25 minutes from the city center.
- Bangkok – Thai Airways is another airline offering up a free stopover in the tourist mecca of Bangkok.
- Beijing – This city will soon be home to the world’s largest airport, designed by the late architect Zaha Hadid, and as more travellers prepare to pass through, why not plan to make a stopover.